Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

Ms. Georgelin did a great job of quickly learning where the students were at academically and socially.  She then used this knowledge to guide her teaching of lessons, as well as informing the way that she approached learners that needed more support.

Janine Hamming

My coaching teacher, Janine Hamming, included the above statement in her report of my teaching during my feb-march practicum. BC Teaching Standard Three states that “educators [should] be knowledgeable about how children and youth develop as learners and social beings. Educators [should] demonstrate an understanding of individual learning differences and needs. […] Educators [should] use this knowledge to inform decisions about curriculum, instruction and assessment. Educators [should] work to create a positive, safe and inclusive learning environment to best meet the diverse needs of students.” I demonstrated all of these points of this standard during my practicum, carefully planning lessons that include all students and help them develop both intellectually and socially.