Assessment in elementary education plays a pivotal role in informing instruction, monitoring student progress, and promoting equitable learning outcomes. Assessments should be used to identify students’ strengths and areas that need improvement, allowing teachers to adapt lessons to meet students’ individual needs. Formative assessments help teachers gain insights into students’ progress and understanding. This allows them to facilitate timely interventions and adjustments to teaching strategies. One formative assessment strategy I witnessed during my latest practicum, in kindergarten, took place during group time at the carpet. The teacher would start a lesson with a few questions to gauge students’ understanding of the basic concept. After the main lesson, she would then check understanding by asking a few students to answer a focus question. If the first few students struggled with the concept, she would review the material and model how to answer the question correctly. Summative assessments at the end of units or grading periods provide a snapshot of students’ overall understanding and mastery of content. This information should be used to inform future instruction and curriculum planning. During my latest practicum, I witnessed summative assessments in both math and reading as my coaching teacher was working on report cards. She individually conferenced with each child, testing their ability to complete certain tasks and then explaining why/how they did it. Ultimately, assessment should be used as a tool for growth and improvement, fostering a supportive learning environment where all students can thrive academically and holistically.